Senior Legal Counsel - Fixed Term Contract
Location: Sydney, New South Wales AU
Job Number: 638
Who is Equifax?
Equifax is a leading global data, analytic and technology company, supporting customers across 24 countries. We have been serving the Australian and New Zealand markets for over 60 years. Through continuously adapting to our environment, not only have we remained a market leader, we drive and challenge ourselves to do better to help our customers live their financial best.
Our people are what makes us great at what we do - we see every member of our team as an integral piece of a jigsaw. We celebrate differences and recognise that each person brings with them unique talents and perspectives. We provide our people the support and flexibility to manage their work-life balance. At Equifax we genuinely care about our people and our ability to come together as #OneEquifax.
The perks of being an Equifax employee within the Legal and Compliance team?
There are lots of perks of being an Equifax employee – we offer additional leave days as we recognise the importance of taking time out, whether that’s to catch up on some rest, celebrate a birthday, or give back to our community by volunteering. We are committed to the wellbeing of our people and provide them with discounted health cover through BUPA, access to comprehensive hearing services and discounts, and offer 24/7 support through our employee assistance program. Our leadership team fosters a culture of ownership, they will lead, coach, mentor and listen. We support one another to feel confident to speak up and hold each other accountable to work with integrity.
Our leaders practice transparency and encourage us to take full ownership of our work, debate ideas and create solutions that drive positive change for our customers. Our progressive and outcomes focussed culture sees everyone making an impact, at every level.
We assume the best in each other and collaboratively work together to achieve the best possible results. We are supported in driving our own development and are given every opportunity to work on interesting and challenging projects. Working with our diverse Finance team means that you will see firsthand the impact you can make not only for our business, but also our customers.
What you’ll do:
We’re looking for 3 Senior Legal Counsel to join our Legal Transformation Team. Equifax is fuelling insights and data driven innovation across ANZ and has embarked on a multi-year digital transformation journey.
The Senior Legal Counsel is responsible for providing responsive, efficient, practical, commercial, and high-quality legal advice to Equifax Australia (Australian Business) through supporting and collaborating with business and other legal and compliance staff in Australia and ensuring that the Australian Business complies with all laws affecting its operations in Australia, including privacy and data, and competition and consumer.
This role will focus on supporting a specific program of work within the Consumer Transformation Program within the Australian Business.
All advice and services must meet applicable legislative and regulatory requirements, whilst enabling and facilitating the effective operation of the businesses to increase profitability and growth.
Key deliverable and responsibilities:
- Providing responsive, efficient, practical, commercial and high-quality legal services to the Australian Business.
- Ensure the legal and services are timely and accurate and reflect changes in the regulatory and legal environment, as necessary.
- Monitor and stay abreast of changes in the law, and business and industry developments, relevant to areas of responsibility.
- Develop relationships with key business, and legal and compliance staff. Work closely with the program manager, reporting to the program committee, to provide legal advice to implement the program of work in accordance with the program timetable.
- Attend meetings of the program committee, and any program work groups, as required.
- Collaborate with legal and compliance staff and business staff when providing legal advice in connection with the program of work
- Maintain appropriate records of the legal advice provided in connection with the program of work. Provide specialised legal advice to the Australian Business on all laws, industry standards and codes affecting that business, substituting the need to seek external legal advice on laws, industry standards and codes affecting that business, including laws, industry standards and codes relating to privacy and data, competition and consumer, and employment. All technical legal advice should seek to recommend a potential solution to any identified issues and be accompanied by a risk assessment with potential risk mitigations.
- Be or become (and remain) an acknowledged expert, both internally and externally, on all laws, industry standards and codes affecting the Australian Business, to aid in credibility when interacting with internal stakeholders, regulators and external contract counterparties
What are we looking for?
- Commercial lawyer with 5 to 8 years’ expertise as a lawyer in the technology (ideally data) industry. Must have reputable law firm experience and (preferably) prior in-house experience with a major corporation.
- Substantial experience in giving technical advice on applicable laws, industry standards and codes, including privacy and data, and competition and consumer.
- Thorough knowledge of laws, industry standards and codes applicable to the technology and data industry generally and the Australian Business in particular, including privacy and data, and competition and consumer laws, industry standards and codes.
- Ability to explain legal concepts in a commercial context.
- Business focussed individual who understands the objectives and priorities of Equifax.
- Ability to interpret legal requirements and apply accordingly to relevant business operations.
- Demonstrated track record of speedily providing concise, solutions-based legal advice.
- Commercially astute and customer focussed with good practical business judgement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal directly with senior management and develop strong and cooperative working relationships at all levels within the business.
- Excellent technical, negotiating and influencing skills, and proven delivery of results.
- Excellent contract drafting, review and negotiation skills.
- Excellent analysis and interpretation skills.
- Comfortable working both autonomously and as part of a team, in a fast paced team environment.
- Administratively self-sufficient and able to prioritise effectively.
- Ability to project-manage and work to a process and help improve that process.
- Effective management of designated components of transactions.
- Adherence to budget for outsourced work.
- Tertiary qualified with undergraduate law degree.
- Hold a current practising certificate.
Success attributes of an Equifax employee; does this describe you?
At Equifax, there is no such thing as the 'perfect candidate'
Seeing responsibilities and competencies laid out on paper can be confronting. At this stage of the application process, sometimes imposter syndrome can creep in and mess with our confidence. Please know, we list these items to give you an opportunity to show us your potential and how you can grow and transform with us.
Your ability to demonstrate that you possess/have the real potential to develop the required capabilities, knowledge, experience, and qualifications to perform in our roles is what we would like to hear from you. Where possible, you should support your claims with specific examples of what you have done and how you did it.
However, you identify, and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come to work every day!
Job Number: J00119794
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Legal Counsel - Fixed Term Contract
Location_formattedLocationLong: Sydney, New South Wales AU